Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Mindbender

Today's stupid question comes from Markpj@yahoo.com

He writes, on the GCL Twins website:

"Do the players ever ask why you're at the ballpark so much? It could border on stalking!"

Actually no. Usually they ask me why I'm not at the ballpark more often. They "kind of" understand having to work, but still think it "sucks" that I can be there to watch them pitch on Tuesday.

Not to mention Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

I wasn't aware that being at one GCL game a week - usually on Saturday - constitutes stalking.

As for being at the Miracle games, well...I'm a season ticket holder. I'm pretty sure the Miracle want me there every game so I can spend my money on concessions and the like.

In fact, if I miss a game, someone -- be it a player, staff memember, or fellow fan -- always wants to know why. I feel like I need to bring a note from my mom that I was sick. Or perhaps my cat, since my mom does not live with me.

"I'm sorry, my personal assistant could not attend the game on Tuesday afternoon because she was busy feeding me." Or working to earn her food and those special little shrimp treats she likes so much.

Last year, Jannio Guiterrez wanted to know if I was coming on the road trip to Spacecoast with them. When I said no, he wanted to know why not. I was there in the 2003 season, so I should come this time as well.

The fact that Jannio REMEMBERED my being there in 2003 is a problem. It means he's been in High A ball for too long.

Do I rearrange my schedule to get to the games? You betcha. In fact, I got into the office at 7:00 AM on Saturday so that I could get my mandatory four hours in so that I could make the noon start.

So, we started at 12:30. Floyd "Sugerbear" Rayford says we always start at odd times when we play the Orioles.

How often do I bother the coaches? Generally never unless they bother me first or I have a question that needs answering, and then at the most maybe 5 minutes.

How often do I bother the players? They bother me more often. Especially during spring or extended spring training. They find this to be amusing. They all want to get on the website.

Do I have a life? Of course not. I'm a tax professional, it's tax season. I'm at the office 24/7. When would I have time for a life?

So, now I've answered all of your questions, I've got one for Mr. Mindbender. If it's a spectator sport, why wouldn't they want spectors at the game?

No comments: