Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tampa at Fort Myers, Game of May 17th

Photo from May 17, 2008


I had decided that I was retaking photos of Jeff Manship because I did like the ones I had to date for 2008 and did not like the layouts I'd done. However, this was the last game Tampa was in town and I'd gone over to the Tampa dugout to get Autographs from Eric Hacker and Seth Fortenberry. Hacker, of course, was the last one out. I don't get that. Our pitchers come out right away, it's usually the relievers that take their sweet old time about getting out there.

In any case, once I'd accomplished my mission, I started cutting through the sections to get to Iris' seats and ran into Ed who invited me to stop and chat, which I did. So by the time I got to Iris, the light was starting to go. You'll notice that in the second half of this album.

I figured Manny would notice me over by the Yankees dugout and give me grief about it - he gives me grief about everything - but no. Since he was pitching, he wasn't paying attention to what was going on around him.

When he didn't say anything, I went over to him, at this last homestand and said "You know, I'm really miffed because you didn't give me a hard time about being down by the Yankees dugout collecting autographs."

"When was this?"

"The last game they where here for, the one you pitched."

"I didn't notice."

"I guess not, but I figured if anyone would, it would be you. I did get lots of nasty looks last year when I was collecting Tigers autographs."

I wasn't really getting a response, so I went on with "I wanted to get Hacker's autograph before he got promoted."

"He's doing really well this year," Manny says. "He has nothing special, but he really knows how to pitch."

"He's enjoyable to watch," I agree.

"That guy I pitched against, Garcia, he's really good too." Tampa has a good pitching staff. As of last Saturday, May 24, they lead the Florida State League in team pitching with a 2.73 ERA. Fort Myers, you usually ranks up there was fifth, with a 3.52 ERA.

"I like to think our autographs have more meaning for you," he says, "because of the sentimental value."

"You know I love all you guys," I tell him.

He was really good, I did four different layouts and he signed them all for me in one fell swoop.

Anyway, click on the image above to go the album.

No comments: